REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FOR CLERK OF WORKS – LVBC/AFDB/IC/03/2023
EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
LAKE VICTORIA BASIN COMMISSION
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT – LVBC/AfDB/IC/03/2023
CLERK OF WORKS
MULTINATIONAL LAKE VICTORIA MARITIME COMMUNICATIONS AND TRANSPORT PROJECT
Financing Agreement Reference: 2100150036245 (Tanzania), 2100150036246 (Uganda)
Project ID No: P-Z1-GB0-021 (Tanzania), P-Z1-GB0-030 (Uganda)
The Governments of Tanzania and Uganda received financing from the African Development Bank towards the cost of the Multinational Lake Victoria Maritime Communications and Transport project, and intend to apply part of the agreed amount for these loans to payments under the contract for a Clerk of Works.
The EAC through the Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC) Secretariat is coordinating the implementation of the Multinational Lake Victoria Maritime Communications and Transport (MLVMCT) Project. This program is being implemented in Uganda and Tanzania for a remaining period of one (1) year, 6 months. The program addresses the maritime transportation and navigation safety intervention area and will contribute to the provision of safe, efficient, cheap and environmentally friendly transport links, and fishing activities that are essential to achieving the goals of poverty reduction and sustainable development.
Specifically, the project will establish a maritime communications system for safety on Lake Victoria, including the implementation of a Maritime Rescue Coordination Centres (MRCCs) and Search and Rescue (SAR) centres on the Lake Victoria, and develop East African Maritime Transport strategy.
Title of the Consultant: Clerk of Works
Reports to: Regional Project Coordinator
Duration of Contract: 1 Year, Renewable subject to performance appraisal and availability of funds
Duty Station: Mwanza, Tanzania.
1.0. Main purpose of the Assignment
- The main objective of this assignment is to monitor and evaluate of the construction of the regional MRCC in Mwanza in compliance with the approved plans and documents of the MRCC including ascertaining the quality control and quality assurance of the construction project based on approved designs and construction plans. In addition, the CoW shall carry out the day-to-day management and supervision, ensuring the overall efficiency and effectiveness of processes and activities undertaken to achieve timely delivery of the construction project. She/he will be providing technical assistance and sound advice to LVBC and the project participating Partner States including inputs to the development of the construction strategies as well as policies for future maintenance of the MRCC.
2.0. Duties and responsibilities
- To monitor and evaluate the construction of the MRCC including quality control, certify that the quality of works conforms to the specifications, norms, standards, drawings and plans;
- Provide sound technical advice to LVBC as well as to the project participating Partner States for the best value for money and most advantageous proposals on costs related to the actual construction of the MRCC;
- Maintain relevant construction records, prepare monthly and Quarterly reports, until final construction and handover these reports to LVBC;
- Develop a quick evaluation of the construction activities (prepare a checklist) and accomplish these checklists to show progress of the construction;
- Ensure that effective implementation, monitoring and supervision of the
- construction activities of the MRCC are carried out;
- Ascertain that effective quality control systems of the construction firm follow the rules and regulations of the Tanzania Construction Council;
- Supervise the testing of the materials and concrete pouring of all structures;
- Supervise the electrical, plumbing and mechanical works of the MRCC;
- Daily Reporting to the MRCC site committing 8 working hours per day and develop daily and weekly monitoring checklists for the construction of MRCC;
- Perform other tasks related to the project implementation as may requested by LVBC.
3.0. Qualification and experience
To be qualified for the position, the candidate must meet the minimum required qualifications and experience:
- Must have as a minimum, Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University, in Civil engineering /Structural /Construction Engineering or any other related field;
- Must be a registered or Chartered engineer with a Competent Authority recognised in Tanzania and well vast with construction industry in Tanzania.
- Must have at least 7 years’ experience in executing construction work activities at national or regional or international bodies;
- Demonstrable understanding of the Civil engineering/Construction Industry
- Must be computer literate in the use of MS Word, MS Excel, MS project and any other relevant computer applications;
- Fluent in English and knowledge of Swahili is an added advantage. However, official Communication and all Reports shall be in English language.
4.0. Skills and Competences
- Effective communication skills both written and oral. Concise report writing skills.
- Technical proficiency: Good understanding of and experience in civil engineering management, especially in Construction works and services. Proven ability in managing processes, people and coordination across implementing teams. Sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a range of issues/problems. High analytical skills. Be results oriented and proactive.
- Ethics and Integrity: Must be a person of proven honesty and integrity with no criminal record, maintain utmost professionalism, work ethics and confidentiality.
- Teamwork: Very good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.The Clerk of Works shall work in close collaboration with LVBC and project participating Partner States technical teams.
The LVBC now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (curriculum vitae, academic and professional certificates, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc.).
Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance with the African Development Bank’s “Procurement Policy for Bank Group Funded Operations” dated October 2015, which is available on the Bank’s website at http://www.afdb.org.
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours from 0900 to 1700 hours East African (EA) time.
Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below by 8th June 2023 at 1700 hours EA time and mention “EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FOR CLERK OF WORKS – LVBC/AFDB/IC/03/2023”.
East African Community,
Lake Victoria Basin Commission
Nyanza Regional Headquarters, 13th floor
Owuor Otiende Road, Off Kenyatta Highway
P. O. Box 1510 – 40100
Telephone Number: +254 57 2023894/73, 2026344
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Share this content