On the 11/11/2016, here at LVBC we shall be celebrating our 10th anniversary. We shall reflect on the journey thus far and forge the path for the bright future for LVBC that lies ahead.
COMMEMORATING THE 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF LVBC
Please join us on
TOM MBOYA LABOUR COLLEGE
DRESS CODE: SMART CASUAL
Celebrating 10 Years of Sustainable Dev't in Lake Victoria Basin
Lake Victoria Basin Commission(LVBC) will be celebrating 10 years of uninterrupted sustainable development in the Lake Victoria Basin through partnerships on 12th November 2016.
The 15th Sectoral Council of Ministers for Lake Victoria Basin (SECOM) approved the planned 10 years celebrations of LVBC. The celebration which will be preceded by the 16th SECOM slated to take place on 12th November 2016 at Tom Mboya Larbor College, Kisumu, Kenya.
Some Key milestones worthy of celebration.
- Institutionalization of the National Focal Point Ministries for Lake Victoria Basin Commission in all the Partner States;
- Designation of Desk Officers in charge of LVBC affairs at the Ministries responsible for EAC Affairs;
- Institutionalization of the LVB Sectoral Council of Ministers with memberships drawn from the 14 areas of Cooperation (Article 3 of the Protocol);
- Independent budgetary contribution from the Partner States currently standing at about USD 3 million per year;
- Several Financing Agreements with Development Partners in support of projects and programmes on sustainable development in LVB key among them: the World Bank, Sweden/Sida, Norway/Norad, African Development Bank, USAID, Finland, German/KfW among others;
- Institutionalized LVBC – CSO forum for engaging non-state actors in stakeholders and donors consultative forum;
- Enacted the Lake Victoria Transport Act (2007) and regulations (2010) and the Lake Victoria new water and release abstraction policy;
- Developed the LVBC Strategic Plan (2016-2020); plans for directing interventions towards addressing the myriad of challenges in the Lake Victoria Basin;
- LVBC has developed several projects and programmes making impacts(LVWATSAN, LVEMP II, PHE, MERECEP) and there are many in pipelines (IWRM, Multinational Maritime Communication, Transport Project)
- Developed and customized several management and operational tools and operating manuals for improved institutional performance and growth.
In view of the above realized milestones, it is worthwhile to look back and appreciate what has been achieved, lessons learned and draw collective momentum towards making the Commission a regional Centre of excellence.
The objectives of setting of a day(s) to commemorate 10 years of LVBC’s existence are premised on the following:
- To take stock of achievements, lesson learnt and challenges over the last 10 years; and
- On the basis of (a) above, define the future outlook of the Commission in the next 10 years.
- To provide a platform for strategic engagement(dialogue) between LVBC and its partners in the Lake Victoria Basin and beyond;
Key activities to mark the celebrations include: statement from the LVBC leadership and other highly esteemed partners, media briefing, launch of LVBC Strategic Plan, LVBC websites, entertainment among others.
The targeted participation shall include but not limited to:
- Representatives from the Partner States (mainly drawn from those participating in the Sectoral Council of Ministers);
- Development Partners;
- Private Sector Organizations;
- Civil Society Organizations;
- Community Based Organizations;
- Universities and research organizations;
EAC organs and institutions