EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
LAKE VICTORIA BASIN COMMISSION
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT - LVBC/ACC/IC/02/2018
ADAPTING TO CLIMATE CHANGE IN LAKE VICTORIA BASIN PROJECT
The East African Community/Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC) has received funds from the Adaptation Fund through United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) to implement Adapting to Climate Change in Lake Victoria Basin (ACC-LVB) project. LVBC seeks to use part of the funds to payments under the contract for a Financial Assistant.
The EAC/LVBC and UNEP is implementing Adapting to Climate Change in Lake Victoria Basin (ACC-LVB) project from the Adaptation Fund. This project will run for three (3) years. The project seeks to reduce the vulnerability of the Lake Victoria Basin to climate change, focusing on two key issues—water scarcity and flooding. Climate change in the Lake Victoria Basin (LVB) – a water catchment in Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda – has resulted in increased mean annual temperatures and increased variability in rainfall patterns. Climate change projections predict that mean annual temperatures will continue to increase and that variability in rainfall patterns will be exacerbated. Projected climate change will result in several negative effects within the LVB, including a decrease in water quality and availability for a number of uses, including inter alia: i) domestic; ii) agricultural; iii) industrial and commercial; and iv) cultural. The negative effects of climate change disproportionately affect marginalized and rural communities within the LVB by reducing the productivity of agriculture and wetlands and the abundance of fish in Lake Victoria and its tributaries. In addition, the projected effects of climate change are likely to negatively impact economic sectors within the LVB that depend on water resources, such as hydropower facilities and commercial fisheries.
The project will increase climate resilience in the LVB at both a regional and local level by implementing both regional and community-based climate change adaptation interventions.
The proposed project objective will be achieved through five outcomes, namely:
- strengthened institutional and technical capacity to integrate climate resilience into transboundary water catchment management;
- improved delivery of accurate and timely climate information to regional and national policy makers, technical officers and local communities;
- climate change adaptation technologies, including water harvesting techniques, climate-smart agriculture and Ecosystem based Adaptation (EbA), transferred to communities to reduce their vulnerability to climate change;
- regional resilience to climate change promoted through innovative, community based projects; and
- improved knowledge management frameworks for the collection and maintenance of regional knowledge in transboundary water catchment management and climate change adaptation practices.
UNEP is the Multilateral Implementing Entity (MIE) for the project, and the LVBC is the Executing Entity of the project.
Title of the Consultant : Financial Assistant
Duration of Assignment : 1 year renewable subject to performance
Eligibility : EAC Partner States nationals
Duty of Station : Kisumu, Kenya
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the Financial Assistant (FA) will include the following:
- Standardise the finance and accounting systems of the project while maintaining compatibility with the government and UNEP financial accounting procedures.
- Prepare budget revisions of the project budgets and assist in the preparation of the annual work plans.
- Comply and verify budget and accounting data by researching files, calculating costs and estimating anticipated expenditures from readily available information sources, in particular partner agencies.
- Prepare status reports, progress reports and other financial reports.
- Process all types of payment requests for settlement purposes, including quarterly advances to the partners upon joint review.
- Prepare periodic accounting records by recording receipts, disbursements – ledgers, cash books, vouchers, etc. – and reconciling data for recurring or financial special reports and assist in preparation of annual procurement plans.
- Undertake project financial closure formalities, including submission of terminal reports, transfer and disposal of equipment, processing of semi-final revisions and support professional staff in preparing the terminal assessment reports.
- Assist in the timely issuance of contracts and assurance of other eligible entitlements of the project personnel, experts and consultants, by preparing annual recruitment plans.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics
- Hold professional accountancy qualifications i.e. ACCA (Association of Certified Chartered Accountants) or CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or CIMA (Certified Chartered Management Accountant) or CFA (Certified Financial Analyst)
- Work experience as a Finance Assistant, Finance Officer or similar role for a minimum of 5 years
- Good knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping procedures
- Advanced MS Excel skills (creating spreadsheets and using financial functions)
- Familiarity with accounting software
Competencies and skills
- Applicants should be proficient in Computerized Financial Management Information Systems and applications;
- Organizational and time-management skills
- Attention to detail, with an ability to spot numerical errors
- Report writing skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
The FA will report to the LVBC Senior Accountant. The FA will work closely with the Project Manager and Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) to ensure the finance and accounting systems of the project are in compliance with the EAC, Governments and UNEP financial accounting procedures.
The LVBC now invites eligible Individual Consultants from the EAC region to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (curriculum vitae, academic and professional certificates, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc.).
Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance with the EAC Procurement Policies and Procedures.
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours from 0900 to 1700 hours East African time.
Expressions of interest must be delivered to the tender box and addressed as below by Monday, 17th September, 2018 at 1100 hours EA time and mention “EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANT - LVBC/ACC/IC/02/2018”.
East African Community,
Lake Victoria Basin Commission
Nyanza Regional Headquarters, 13th floor
Owuor Otiende Road, Off Kenyatta Highway
P. O. Box 1510 - 40100
Telephone Number: +254 57 2023894/73, 2026344