The railway transport is based on technology and infrastructure that has been in existence for a long period. This has partly been due to lack of innovative management techniques as a result of public sector involvement in the industry. The result has been lack of expansion of the systems, obsolete rolling stock, and rundown equipment.The governments have noted this deteriorating state of the railway infrastructure and instituted policy reforms that have opened up the sector for private investment. The areas of focus include…
- Rehabilitation, upgrading and maintenance of the railway tracks.
- Modernisation and maintenance of the railway telecommunication system.
- Modernisation and maintenance of the signaling equipment.
- Maintenance of rolling stock.
- Godowns and rail to door transportation business opportunities.
- Integrating the railway infrastructure to capture more domestic and transit traffic by strengthening interchange and interface facilities.
- Development of local capacity participation in designing, investment, financing and provision of railway services and ancillary facilities.