The zonal location of Lake Victoria Basin(LVBC) and Lake Victoria
Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC) is a specialized institution of the East African Community (EAC) located in the City of Kisumu, Republic of Kenya and within the Lake Victoria Basin (LVB). The Commission is mandated to coordinate sustainable development and management of the Lake Victoria Basin in the 5 EAC Partner States.
Lake Victoria is hydrologically delineated and covers an area of approximately 183,000 Square Kilometers with lake surface of covering about 68,800 square kilometers. Lake Victoria is the 2nd largest freshwater body in the world. The East African designated Lake Victoria Basin as an area of 'high economic interests' and a 'regional economic growth zone,' to be developed jointly by the EAC Partner States.
A prosperous population living in a healthy and sustainably managed environment providing equitable opportunities and benefits
MissionTo promote, facilitate and coordinate activities of different actors towards sustainable development and poverty eradication of the Lake Victoria Basin.
- Maintain integrity;
- practice equity;
- be result-oriented;
- be responsive.
LVBC GovernanceThe LVBC Secretariat reports to the Sectoral Council of Ministers on Lake Victoria (SECOM). Some of functions SECOM performs are:
- Provide overall policy directions for the implementation of projects and programmes in the Lake Victoria Basin;
- Guide the implementation of development programmes in Lake Victoria Basin;
- Make regulations, issue directives, take decisions and make recommendations to the Council of Ministers for EAC;
Coordination CommitteeThe Coordination Committee consists of Principal and Permanent Secretaries of the Sectoral Ministries of the EAC Partner States. Some of the functions of Coordination Committee are:
- Submit reports and recommendations to the Sectoral Council of Ministers;
- Implement the decisions of the Sectoral Council of Ministers;
- Receive and consider reports of the Sectoral Council of Ministers;
Sectoral CommitteeThe Sectoral Committee are Senior Government Officials from the Sectoral Ministries of the EAC Partner States. Some of the functions of the Sectoral Committee are:
- Coordinate regional activities and those of national focal points within the Lake Victoria Basin;
- Be responsible for the preparation of comprehensive implementation of programmes and setting out of the priorities for the Basin;
- Monitor and keep under constant review of the implementation of the programmes undertaken in the Basin;
Governance Structure of LVBC